Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Recycling, the possibilities are endless...

Today I wasn't well. But it was a nice day, and my mum is on Easter holidays from school, so she came round and planted my two lovely new cherry trees. One, snow goose, has white and pale pink blossom and is now in my back lawn, and the other, Kanzan, has bright pink blossom and is in the front. My neighbours all think I employ my mother for slave labour as she toiled in the sun to plant these things while I watched from the comfort of a kitchen chair in the middle of my front garden. I am ill! OK!!!!??

Despite not lifting a finger (no, hold on, I lifted a watering can...) I am now feeling rather green and smug about the two hours TV watching-worth of carbon I may have offset with those little purchases. So I had a bit of a google this evening.

My next purchases will be a water butt and a compost bin. And looking further on www.recyclenow.com (the site behind those funny recycling TV ads) it appears that my local Tesco's recycling centre takes plastics!!! The holy grail in recycling!!

I have also emailed the council to tell them my recycle tubs for paper and glass blew away in the big winds (those of the broken fence... remember?) and please can I have more.

Add to all this the fact that at the weekend I bought some Ace Of Herts compost (the stuff that actually, genuinely, really comes from my brown wheelie bin each fornight) and scattered it over my garden, and I think I am genuinely green. I mean, that compost not only originated in my garden (possibly...) and is now back there, but it was locally collected, produced and sold. And has no peat. So my compost has a teeny tiny carbon footprint!

Feeling rather chuffed with my Green gestures (even if most of it was just Google work) I shall stop here. But pondering rearranging my shelving under the stairs to make room for a new Ultra-Plush Recycling Management Centre (some stack and store boxes with rubbish in....).

Just one question - does anyone ACTUALLY know the carbon offset value of two little but pretty cherry trees which will live around 50 years?

4 comments:

Rob said...

Sorry if this ruins your feeling of smugness, but "What we have found is in the so-called mid-latitude region where the United States is located and majority of European countries are located, the climate benefits of planting will be nearly zero," said ecologist Govindasamy Bala of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Get well soon!

Emily Wearmouth said...

Firstly that was said by an American. And their thoughts on climate change are rarely worth hearing.

Secondly, even if its true, its still worth doing because of the birdies and bugs and stuff... (Emily demonstrates her impressive grasp on the ecology of her front garden)...

Rob said...

I think it's a little harsh to dismiss all American research simply because of your dislike of the American government's policies regarding climate change. I posted the link to the American and French study (I admit the BBC article didn't say that, but the source - New Scientist - does: http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/climate-change/dn10811) because it's the most recent study I've come across, but similar conclusions were reached back in 1999: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/480339.stm and similar things have repeatedly been published by New Scientist over the years: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn2958

I own a couple of yucca trees, the new one's only about a foot high, the other's a 6' monster that I've had for well over 5 years. I also own another nice variegated plant called Alice that's grown from a small pot plant into another tall monster in the same 5-and-a-bit years. They're not outside, so it doesn't particularly help the birdies (I'm more a fan of watching the cute little squirrels), but they certainly are nice to look at.

Emily Wearmouth said...

Its my blog. I can be as harsh and/or bigotted as I like. So there.

Locations of visitors to this page