Sunday, June 22, 2008

Critter crisis

This week I encountered my first resident creepy crawly since arriving in Oz. Merrily readying myself for bed, I wandered into the kitchen to fill up a glass of water and was stopped in my tracks by a cockroach sauntering across the floor like he owned the place.

Now I have made no secret of my abject fear of creepy crawlies - mice can over run my home and I will maturely slaughter them without breaking a sweat, but a cockroach only need look in my direction and I run screaming atop nearly furniture.

So how proud I was that upon seeing the interloper I didn't shriek. Nor did I tremble or flee. No dear reader, I calmly went to the cupboard and placed a glass over the top of him/her.

With the offending critter incarcerated I calmly called through The Housemate's bedroom door to alert her to the presence of the bug.

"Did you spray it?" she asked.

"Spray it? With what? Why? Why would I spray it?? No I didn't spray it - I trapped it" I replied.

A pause, then;

"OK, well ... well done. I will deal with it in the morning. Go to bed".

Some people just don't recognise raw courage when they see it.

3 comments:

Felicity said...

Round of applause-well done that lady! I am impressed with your bravery.I caught quite a big spider the other day and that was a bit traumatic, but you def. get extra points x

Emily Wearmouth said...

From the master of under-glass-critter-trapping that is high praise indeed :-)

Felicity said...

Creatures attempting to sneak into my house with no intention of paying rent have good reason to fear the Pint Glass of Doom...

Locations of visitors to this page