Thursday, June 12, 2008

Portions

First up, an apology. I haven't blogged massively since arriving in Sydney. This is partly because I am still jet lagged, and haven't done anything monumental, but also partly because there is so much to tell that I don't know where to start. Plus I have been separated from my trusty BlackBerry so blogging is no longer mobile and I have never had the world's best memory. An idea for a post strikes on the train, but now I have to wait till I get home. So I am forgetting much of my best work before it materialises ;-)

This post has vaguely entered my mind on a number of occasions this week, and swiftly left again. It just came back though... so here is my thought on portions...

In the UK we are repeatedly told "eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day". Its tough, we moan, we can't squeeze them between our Dominoes and Frosties!

But strangely, in Australia they are told "2 portions of fruit, and 5 of veg a day".

Which leaves me wondering... are Brits bred/evolved to need less fruit and veg?? Has our Turkey Twizler lifestyle brought dividends as our essential processes now need fewer vitamins and minerals to function?

Or has the NHS decided that goals should always be achieveable and the Australian system would be too ambitious to work?

One thing I do know, Saturday night was the first time I have ever been told "come to ours for a drink first, we have wine but can you bring some fruit?"

5 comments:

cardinalsin said...

I believe in Japan they are asked to eat nine portions of fruit and veg a day. Rumour has it that the UK Government were advised that nine would be the right amount, but concluded that Brits would not accept it. So they went for five.

In other words, the reason the UK gets told to eat less, is because we eat less in the first place and the Govt doesn't want to upset us.

Melissa said...

good article in the guardian a few months back about the myths of eating fruit - apparently veg is where its at

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,2245266,00.html

Melissa said...

sorry it truncated the url:


link here

Emily Wearmouth said...

Interesting article Melissa - but now I don't know what is good and what is not!!

I was loving Sydney's obsession with Smoothies, now I am left wondering if they are doing me harm!

Felicity said...

This made me wonder what the offical Norwegian view is on the how much fruit/veg a day front, so I had a quick look, but the whale mafia seem to have hijacked everything to do with healthy eating-even searching 'official guideline fruit and vegetables Norway' brings up a page with a lead article on the numerous reasons why whale meat is the only thing you need do to be an all round healthier and better person

http://www.bt.no/klima/article520883.ece

If I could only manage the basic five a day that would be a good start. Unless the stuff you get in Pimms counts? In which case am well on the way!

Locations of visitors to this page