Thursday, July 24, 2008

A long way from home

This is a strange tale, bear with me...

Last night I started to read next month's Letchworth Book Club book, Treasure Island. It was picked after I flew around the world to take up residence in Sydney so a couple of weeks back I traipsed my ex-pat bottom across the Harbour Bridge, through the city and up Oxford Street to a second-hand bookshop in search of a copy that wouldn't break the bank. Books here, you see, are very expensive - but that is a point for another day. So I found myself in a lovely bookshop, up three floors and peering at the children's second-hand section. Two copies of Treasure Island - both hardback, both with lovely plates illustrating throughout. I chose the cheapest (of course), and took my book home.

Fast forward to last night and I was tucked up in bed, feet like blocks of ice, when I decided to flip to the front of the book to see... well... I don't know what. But I stuck my finger in the book to not lose my place and flipped to the front page.

And my book was printed in Letchworth, Hertfordshire, England.

It somehow found its way all the way around the world, only to end up in the hands of a Letchworthian!! Letchworth isn't a big town - about 40,000 - and nothing of note ever originated in the town (excepting yours truly, of course). Sydney on the other hand is a city of 4 million, with possibly just me coming from Letchworth. But this little children's story found me. And that made me smile and forget my cold feet for a while.

3 comments:

liz said...

i love cooincidences like that!

Katy said...

Funnily enough books are expensive in Dubai too. But magazines are cheap. Go figure.

Did you get to play in the snow today?

Emily Wearmouth said...

After saying an incredulous no, am I supposed to return the question so you can regale me with stories of snowball fights? That is, if you are not back home in Dubai....

Locations of visitors to this page