Thursday, July 03, 2008

You say tomato...

Day three at work today and I have discovered two potentially deal breaking incompatabilities with my colleagues...

First off, I was in a brainstorm for one of the agencies big clients when I suggested an idea involving wireless routers (trust me, it was a corker). I get to the climax of the idea; "and of course it can't be done without a router" (or something).... and I am met with uproarous laughter. I look at them confused and they all chime in with a very plummy accent repeating back to me "rooooter". Used to the odd tease about my accent I ask them how Australians would say it; "rowter", like Americans. I am really not sure I can comply. But it gets worse - apparently when you say it my way it means something quite different out here, and that something is not appropriate for polite company. I guess rowter it is! Urgh.

A couple of hours later and I was starting to se the funny side of the tomayto/tomato scenario. Then a colleague came up to me and asked me to pick the treat for this week's Lunch and Learn training session which I am runing tomorrow. "How about flapjacks?" I ask. Flummoxed faces all round. "Like, pancakes?" they ask. So I attempt to describe the inner workings of the oaty delight of flapjacks (describing how some weirdos add raisins but that the best are either chocolate chip or dipped in chocolates). Seems they don't have flapjacks in Australia. Hmmm. Now I have talked about it I want one! I might have to get cooking and introduce my colleagues to flapjacks....

4 comments:

pollyemj said...

I would love you to introduce flapjacks to Oz - they look fantastic! Much better than pancakes...

saradarby said...

He he he, rooter!! I should have warned you about that one!!

Emily Wearmouth said...

Polly, leave it with me :-)

Em's mum said...

So, have you made flapjacks yet? Why have you never made flapjacks for me? (The chocolate dipped Brazils were great though!)

Locations of visitors to this page