Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Australia Post

I just got back from the post office, posting my nearly-one-year-old niece's birthday present. It being a lunchtime, the queue was rather lengthy, but I was not bored. Oh no. Because throughout the queuing process I had Australia Post's bookshelves to peruse.

Back in the office I am left pondering the choices on the shelves. If a store stocks titles such as "How to be comfy" and "Great Australian Shearing Stories" (next to "Great Australian Droving Stories") what does it say about its customers?

Their marketing collateral was targetting a modern crowd (endless posters telling you how to post things if you were an online seller). So what is with the books??

[confession: I have seen the Shearing Stories on two separate occasions now, and have to confess to being rather intruiged, can anyone recommend it?]

5 comments:

pollyemj said...

I would have to advise against the purchase (or even borrowing) of Great Shearing Stories. Not that I have read it, but I have had the opportunity to experience shearing in all its glory and my opinion is that its really not something that warrants firstly the superlative "great" or secondly the telling of its stories. I know I'm a biased Aussie country chick but seriously its generally a hot tin shed with smelly men swearing at woolly beasts. I think researching the song "Click go the shears" is all you really need!

Anonymous said...

Although I agree good shearing stories must be few and far between... I grew up on a sheep farm and our sheep were probably not sheared as often as they should be. Therefore, the ram's 'assets' were somewhat disguised by the wool.

We used to watch the shearing take place as there wasn't really anything more exciting to do on the farm. My sister (5 at the time) was mesmerised by the process and my parents had to provide commentary throughout. As the wool was removed, it became clear that the ram looked different 'down there' to the other sheep. She then of course asks "what are they?". My mum replies "they're his testicals sweetheart"... To which my sister quickly replies "how come they're so much bigger than daddy's?"....

Emily Wearmouth said...

I love that you posted that anonymously! :-)

Brooke said...

I just couldn't be bothered setting up a Google account... I do hope you're happy now...

Emily Wearmouth said...

Much happier - but you didn't need to go to all that bother. Just click the name/URL option and type your name! :-p

Locations of visitors to this page