Sunday, September 07, 2008

Housekeeping

Next Saturday is the big moving day - I will be waving goodbye to North Sydney and heading out to the Eastern Suburbs to join all the other Brits in Sydney.

I fought it hard. I didn't see the point in moving all this way to mix with exactly the same people you would find on a standard night out in Clapham. But it soon became a Sunday habit for me to wake up and hop on the train to Bondi, so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I won't actually be living in Bondi - the suburb ends at my road, so one side is, and my side isn't. I will be living in Bellevue Hill so I reckon that's a bit less stereotypical.

Yeah I know. Fooling myself.

Anyway, because my packing will take about five minutes (putting it all back into the suitcases it arrived in) I used my excitement today for housekeeping jobs all in the name of recovering my bond.

I have scrubbed the bathroom from top to bottom (and replaced the shower curtain) AND ventured into the poisonous spider domain that is my back terrace. My housemate broke the news to me a week ago that "it didn't have a jungle of weeds when we moved in 12 months ago you know, and it needs to be returned in the state we found it."

Ooooh, gardening! Said I. Naively.

In the UK you don't have to keep your eyes peeled for the deadly and locationally choosy funnelweb spider (which kindly limits itself to the Sydney area). Or the killer redback... also a fan of Sydney. You don't even have to watch for the harmless yet terrifyingly large huntsman spider (rife in this part of the world).

No, in the UK I can limit my gardening panic attacks to the steady march of the teeny, unassuming and entirely harmless garden spider.

Luckily in the couple of hours of scrubbing around in a mass of woven weeds I spotted exactly NO spiders - deadly or otherwise.

I had a bit of a fright when my old friend put in an appearance from underneath a plant, but otherwise it was rather uneventful.

Still - I have just taken a long hot shower in the newly sparkling bathroom just in case one was hiding in the dirt on me! I know - but I never pretended to be a rational human being...

6 comments:

cardinalsin said...

Wow, I can't quite believe you've been there 12 months already!

Emily Wearmouth said...

That's because I haven't.
I have been here 3 months. My housemate and a friend of ours lived here for the first 9 months of the contract - hence me not knowing what the garden looked like...

cardinalsin said...

Phew, that makes a lot more sense. I would have guessed 2 months.

In which case, I can't believe you're moving already! Is your plan to eventually live in every house in Australia? :P

Emily Wearmouth said...

That is indeed my plan. Or maybe just edge nearer and nearer the beach until I finally topple into the sea.

See in the UK you don't need to do that because the sea comes to you...

Nicole said...

...I'm feeling with you on the spider thing a little right now. I'm currently on holiday in the Seychelles, and I must say that lying on the beach in the shade of a palm tree doesn't quite have the same appeal anymore...because if you look up, you'll see several palm spiders right over your head.

They are harmless - but they are huuuuge! And I can't really get used to their presence...

Emily Birks said...

Ohhh you are leaving the north and heading eastside of the bridge I see. I grew up on the north shore and have been a northie my entire life so I cant believe you are betraying us by moving east!! I am moving back to Sydney in January so will have to decide were to live myself soon. While the east is funky and close to bondi my heart is in the north. Glad you are enjoying Sydney and I am sure you will love the new location.
Emily B

Locations of visitors to this page