Friday, November 07, 2008

A startling conversation

Oh my golly gosh. It's a two blog post day because, quite frankly, I have just been handed a gem of blog content.

One of my colleagues (who will remain nameless for the sake of her future career) has just spun around in her chair to ask me a question, and the conversation went a little something like this... ahem...

Colleague: Hey Em, what does [client] mean about the law in NZ?

Me: She wants you to check whether that fact about companies being legally required to hold data for five years in Australia is the same as in NZ.

Colleague: Do they have different law to us then?

Me: Um, yes.

Colleague: But I thought they just had our laws?

Me: No. Historically speaking I believe Australia and NZ are both more linked to Britain than they are to each other. NZ do indeed have their own laws.

Colleague: OK, so we all have British law?

Me: No, everyone very much has their own law honey.

Colleague: But aren't there two systems? British and American? I thought everyone else was just a variation on a theme?

Me: Um, where would, say, France sit in this legal scheme of yours?

Colleague: [thinking] ... British?

There followed a brief explanation by me of how law works. Nods from colleague made me perhaps a little over zealous in my explanation. Perhaps mentioning that our contracts are actually written under the laws of New South Wales, not Australia ... or Britain... was taking it too far.

I am, however, heartened by her close:

Colleague: Like, when you say it, its ringing bells.

Quite.

3 comments:

C Agius said...

That's gold! :)

Felicity said...

*Speechless*

Sue M said...

Is your colleague called Barney??

Locations of visitors to this page