Thursday, January 29, 2009

Crowd pullers

Spoiler-free post!

I went to see Slumdog Millionaire last night with Kenny and absolutely loved it. It was rather gruesome in places and very sad to see how people still live in India today (the people who we are all to quick to snap at when they take our customer care calls), but the film was brilliant.

Based on the novel Q&A which I have always wanted to read but never got around to, the film is a life story told by a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire contestent who is accused of cheating. He must be cheating because he is a slum kid and chaiwaller who couldn't possibly know all those answers... except he does. It's also a love story and I realised how much of a romantic I am when about 10 minutes from the end, with all story lines wrapped up I felt like the film was in no way finished yet because the romantic element was still waiting closure. Yes... I did cry. I always cry.

Anyway, that little review there wasn't supposed to be the point of this post. At the bus stop afterwards I ran a little theory of mine past Kenny...

There are certain actors who I love and will always try to go and see their films. Oddly though my list is mainly female. I wondered whether Kenny had a similar list and whether his would be mainly male... opening up the possibility for a pattern. I could very well have stumbled on a strange idea; do women actually go to the cinema to see women in films, rather than the hot men (and vice versa?)

Kenny reckoned there wasn't anyone who he particularly liked, but when pressed could only name male actors. My list on the otherhand is (in order):


There are lots of others I love - in particular older British actors, both male and female. I wonder whether part of the reason for it is because I love a romantic film, but looking at this list the really odd thing is, there are many many films that these people have made that I hated. Kate Winslet picks some rotten screenplays, but somehow I still love her and what she does with them.

What about you? When you think of your favourite film actors are they predominently the same sex as you, or different?



2 comments:

Nicole said...

Hmm...I can't seem to find a pattern.

Female actors I go to movies for:
Kate Winslet, Sarah Polley

Male actors I like movies with:
Alan Rickman, Roberto Benigni. Heath Ledger... Also Jean Reno - I think he's a great actor, but his movies don't always suit my taste (Godzilla!).

I avoid movies with:
Brad Pitt, Juliette Binoche, Jeremy Irons, Steven Segal, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Vin Diesel

For me, it's often directors that influence my choice of movies: David Lynch, Tim Burton. Also Jim Jarmusch

Seems like the 'I hate' category is the most comprehensive.

katy said...

As much as I hate to be a pedant (no, really, I do), your list is 50/50...so what does that say about you?

Have to say it's usually a male actor that draws me to a movie. Failing that, the promotional poster can be a make or break (yup, that shallow!) and I can be pretty sure that if there's a sniff of a romantic plot then Deema will drag me there anyway.

So I guess I'll be seeing Slumdog Millionnaire when/if it makes its way to Dubai. Based on your review, I look forward to it

Locations of visitors to this page