Monday, April 20, 2009

Blissfully chilled weekend

Hello my lovelies. How are you all this Monday? I am sleepy, which is strange because I have had the most chilled weekend. Ever. Judged by an independent panel of me.

I wanted to tell you about two of the highlights of my fabulously antisocial, insular, chillaxed weekend.

1) On Saturday I had to be at the gym at 11am to meet my personal trainer. That's a highlight? I hear you wonder. Well yes, because he got the boxing gloves out for the first time! I think he had clocked my envious looks at the boxing people in previous weeks.

Jab. Jab, cross, jab. Jab, cross, jab, knee, hook, kick. Oh yeah.

Bizarrely my left boob muscle (not sure what that is technically known as) is sore. I am using that to prove that boxing IS for girls because it uses boob muscle.

2) Sunday it was raining buckets, which I love, and very very windy, which I also love. (Energetic weather makes me feel alive). So I spent all morning in bed painting my toe nails and reading Terry Pratchett.

The rain eased around midday so I took a stroll down to the beach to watch the waves pounding in. As I was heading home again the rain put in another appearance so I ducked into a book shop cafe to pass the time.

Well.

This cafe is opposite my Favourite Bondi Brunch Place, but I have never before ventured inside. Inside is a second hand book shop with tables randomly squeezed in the middle. Tasty looking food and a gloriously eclectic bunch of customers. Not your dull cookie-cutter Bondi babes in here.

I ordered a pot of mint tea, found a corner and got stuck into Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit. Got bored and then spotted the complete works of Oscar Wilde so I meandered through A Woman Of No Importance. An hour later, the tea drunk, I purchased Wilde for $14 ($14!!) and an Anne McCaffrey Pern book ($5!!!!!) and headed home.

If you can't find me on a weekend or Wednesday off from now on - look in the book cafe Gertrude & Alice on Hall Street in Bondi.


3 comments:

Katy Ludditt said...

OOoh that's the bookshop that I wanted to go in. So glad you've explored it. Sounds fab.

Em's mum said...

I have lots of the Pern books here..... (Wily ways to tempt your daughter home no. 1)

@EmVicW said...

Katy: Its exactly the cafe bookshop we have always talked about opening ourselves!

Mum: I know - I read your copies the first time around :-)

Locations of visitors to this page