Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mixed emotions

The whole moving home thing brings with it very mixed emotions.

I have some amazing friends out here and the lifestyle is so much better than in the UK. I will miss it a lot. I don't think I realised in time that it wasn't Australia that was making me homesick but just one piece of my life here that I could have changed to make it all better. Oh well, live and learn.

I am very excited to be returning home - I do love London and the UK.

I keep throwing around comments like "gosh I will miss XX" and "first thing I will do when I get home is XX". So I thought I would work on a couple of little lists:

Things I will miss:

- Fabulous sushi that costs pittance
- The sunshine
- Winter lunches in Hyde Park in my shirt sleeves
- The journalists out here (so nice to work with)
- All my social media crowd pals - the UK tweeps have big shoes to fill!
- My very good friend's wedding, which makes me sad

Things I am looking forward to:

- British Dominos Pizza - its like a completely different food group to the Australian version
- Curry
- Cocktails and wine bars
- Being reunited with my shoes
- Understanding systems and laws
- Seeing my (much bigger than when I left them) nieces
- Dickensian Christmas with log fires, red wine and all that jazz
- Putting more effort into seeing Europe now I have seen how Australians never really get to see Oz and we do the same back home

3 comments:

mandi said...

You're dead to me Em! Just go!

@EmVicW said...

Harrumph :p

Anonymous said...

- "Putting more effort into seeing Europe now I have seen how Australians never really get to see Oz and we do the same back home" I agree with that point Em, UK really is the gateway to Europe but I didn't take full advantage of that til I had been to the other side of the world first! When I got home I became obsessed with Euro mini-breaks. You'll do the same no doubt. Amy G

Locations of visitors to this page